I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Cyclocross Triathlon

Hanging out on slowtwitch.com, a couple ideas were thrown around about having a triathlon with a cyclocross course as the bike leg. It sounded like a blast, but the original venue fell through. It seemed like it may not happen, but after looking around a bit, I think I've found a good place to do it - my hometown of Putney, VT.

The swim would take place in the Connecticut River. It would be two-laps, going from a small beach, down to a nearby dock. You’d have to get out onto the dock, then dive back in (ITU style). Each lap is maybe 200-300 yards. The swim is about 1/4 mile from the West Hill Shop cross course (home to the November race). You’d get out of the water, pick up your bike, and go for a couple laps on the course (45 minutes or so), then back down to transition. The run would go out the opposite way, out-and-back down a flat, dirt path. It would be a three-loop run, each loop right around a mile long.

I did a run-through of the course last night, and it was a blast... this should be a fun time. I'm organising an informal race coming up soon, probably on Saturday, October 20th. Of course, all readers are welcome to join, just drop me an email at multisportmaps@gmail.com to let me know.

Some pictures from the course:

Swim:


Bike:




Run:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, the water is going to be freezing at that time of year. You're going to get out of the water, wet, and get on you're bike? A duathlon might work a little better. I do like the idea though. And you might want to think about having a specific number of laps on the bike to complete.

toby