I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Who We Are (Part 3) - Taking Time Off

We here at Multisport Maps work hard. When I’m home, I’m in the office throughout the day, and often into the night. When I’m on the road, I routinely log 12-hour days. Now granted, these hours are spent driving around, riding my bike, and doing things I like to do, but the point remains… we work hard.

Especially on the road though, I have to be watchful that I get rest too. A stretch of traveling and mapping, without any significant downtime, always takes its’ toll - I have less energy, less motivation, and generally, do a worse job in creating the product I’d like to create. Too much work, without sufficient rest, works contrary to my long-term goals.

So, while I constantly want to get more done, I’ll always stop for a break. I keep a growing list of things that are, no questions asked, worth stopping for: a nap, good food, a workout, talking with friends and family, a ballgame, hitting golf balls, reading a book, going bowling, catching a movie, or even going on a date. Though I may miss a couple hours of valuable work time while I’m out on the course or taking a nap, these things keep me balanced, and keep me excited. I may have seen a few less roads last week, and won’t be able to visit that shop until tomorrow, but I feel better, and because I do, I’m sure the final product will be better too.

It’s all a part of the consistent, patient approach that we take in our training, racing, and in our work. Now that I think about it, I’m about due for a break – I’m going for a hike. If you’re looking for me tonight, I’ll be watching the ball game.

The picture is me (w/ backed turned) taking some time off, with my father and his girlfriend in the row boat, my two best friends in the kayaks, and fellow swimmers Hank Lange and Steve Tavella (off-camera). It was a great day:

No comments: