I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Friday, October 26, 2007

Vermont (Part 1) - Pulling a Bus

As Multisport Maps grows, it will cover more and more places. It’ll expand to other cities, other states, and just maybe, other countries. Perhaps even this year or the next, I’ll be moving out to Boulder, CO, and setting up main offices there. Sometime soon, Vermont won’t be much more than another location we cover.

But by the nature of things, just as much as by planning, the company is, and will continue to be, rooted in Vermont. That’s where I’m from, and that’s where the company has been born. The culture of Multisport Maps, the one being created right now on this blog, is one with an inherent Vermont influence. To honor this influence, and really, to define it, I’ll post here every so often about the state… about a particular aspect or feature that speaks to the nature of Vermont, and by association, the nature of Multisport Maps.

I figured a couple pictures would be a good way to start. Here are a few from yesterday, when a couple locals towed away a neighbor’s bus, that had been sitting there for, about 25 years now. It has been a playhouse, storage, and for a few months awhile back, my older sister’s bedroom. Now, it’s off to the crusher.

The bus:

Hooking it up:

Drawing a crowd:

No comments: