I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Checking in From the Kingdom

Well, it’s not a real kingdom, just the isolated northeast corner of Vermont (called the northeast kingdom) – known for farming, wilderness, and bitter winters that start about now, and last through April. I’m up here on what will be my last major mapping trip of the summer, and really enjoying it. I like the isolated, open feel, and the laid-back pace to life. I can relate to the no-nonsense working style of the people, and feel comfortable amongst all the farms. Most of all, I like the dramatic landscape, and I love all the untouched wilderness. I’ve been driving the roads, doing a lot of pool swimming, and best of all, lots of primitive camping. Oh, and this morning, I saw a moose… it was standing right in the middle of the 4WD road to my campsite. Pretty Cool.

Some pictures:

What it feels like up here:

Lake Willoughby:


The moose:

Farmers with too much time on their hands:

Me at my lunch stop:

No comments: