I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Monday, September 17, 2007

Who We Are (Part 2) - Staying Present

Multisport Maps will grow. At some point, the website will cover the entire country, maybe even the entire globe. I look forward to that day… I want the company to grow. However, I know that will bring different challenges. Challenges inherent in bringing in investors, hiring employees, setting up a management structure, and so on.

I'm looking forward to those challenges, and will accept them when they come. But, I'm careful to not get caught staring off into the future. I want to enjoy the present. I want to enjoy what I'm doing now; business trips don't mean staying in hotels and going to meetings, they mean camping and riding my bike. They mean exploring, having fun, and most of all, they mean working hard to create my own product.

That's pretty cool, and I'm appreciative for the opportunity to do what I'm doing. While we're working hard to grow as a company, and we're operating with an eye toward the future, it's important to us to appreciate such things – to work toward the next step, but always enjoy and embrace where we are now.

Me at the worksite, last week:

No comments: