I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Hot Tubes Developmental Cycling – Doing it Right


A couple named Toby and Sherri run a shop called Hot Tubes in Worcester, Massachusetts, right down the road from where I did my undergraduate work. Along with making custom frames and doing some of the best bike-paint jobs in the country, Toby and Sherri help sponsor and run a developmental cycling team. The Hot Tubes team gives serious young cyclists from all over the US a chance to ride like a pro – bikes, equipment, clothing, training camps, and racing in Europe all included. I met Toby and Sherri a couple times in Worcester (they eventually sold me my red Cervelo TT frame), and I liked them because they were always friendly and generous. Most of all, I loved that they were giving such a great opportunity for these kids to ride competitively.

Well, watching the GMSR prologue hill climb this past Friday (see previous post), I saw that the kids are learning more than how to ride a bike fast. I was watching the climb from near the finish, and knowing the shop, yelled for each Hot Tubes rider as they went by – “yeah, Hot Tubes… allright… go, go, go.” Each rider, despite being completely gassed and out of breath, said “thank you” to me for cheering.

It was a small thing, but it spoke volumes for the kids and the team. These random acts of courtesy are the sort of things that stick in your mind – that you begin to associate with Hot Tubes - the things that build a team culture sponsors and supporters can be proud of. If the kids decide to continue on in competitive cycling (as many probably will), these are the exact type of things that will distinguish them against equally fast competitors. Sure, you’ve got to win races, but sponsors can pick from a lot of people who win races – it’s these types of things that really count.

It’s clear that the Hot Tubes developmental team isn’t just helping kids become great riders, but fostering an attitude that will help the kids beyond this year or the next. One that will help them in both their personal and professional lives, whether they choose to continue cycling or not. What better qualities do you hope for in a teaching program?

No comments: