I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Monday, September 17, 2007

Middlebury Trip



I just got back from a three-day trip to Middlebury, VT. Man, it’s nice up there. Of all the places I’ve visited in the last few months (and I’ve visited a lot), Middlebury stands out. If I were to point to one town in Vermont as the best place for a triathlete to live, that would be it. It has a pool (Vermont Sun Fitness Center) and some good open water swimming (Lake Dunmore), lots of good road-running and a 16-mile running trail circling the town. Most of all, there's TONS of good riding… ridiculously good riding. You’ve got the gaps right out the door to the east for some of the best climbing on the east coast, and the lake right out to the west for countless miles of scenic flat riding. In between, there are many rolling, paved roads that wind through beautiful farm country. I mean, how much better can it get? Plus, you have a good bike shop (the bike center), a vibrant endurance community (spurred on by the athletes of Middlebury college), and a great race series right nearby (The Vermont Sun series – two sprints, an olympic and a half). Seriously… this place is the new Boulder. Well, not quite, but you get the idea. Needless to say, I had a great time up there, and feel prepared to guide any athletes going up around that area. A couple quick pictures from my trip:



No comments: