I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

On the Road Again

Once again, I’m checking in from the road. After watching the GMSR on Friday, I stayed around the general area to do some research. Since then, I’ve been to places like Rochester, Bethel, Tunbridge, Rygate, Groton, Topsham and yes, even Mosquitoville (I’m serious, it exists). It’s been a whirlwind - tons of fun, but crazy. From here, I’m heading into Montpelier for two days to map that area, and to visit a friend. With one stop on Thursday morning to Fit Werx in Watsfield, I should be on my way home. Two days there, and it’s back out on the road to race! Some highlights from this trip so far:

More GMSR: On Sunday, I caught some more of the Greeen Mountain Stage Race – this time it was the pro/1/2 riders doing the Road Race through Rochester. It was so cool to feel the peleton come through town – it felt like a train.
The two-man break:

The chase pack:

The Peleton:

And, the Grouetto:


Green Mountain Bikes: I found this great bike shop in Rochester, after watching the race. It was so cool, that the shop deserves its own post – watch for it at some point.


Jim: Jim’s other bike is a Harley. He’s a former body-building champion. He never wears a helmet, and he doesn’t even own a bike jersey. No frills to his riding style, he just LOVES to be out on the bike, It’s cool to see people like this out there (though in reality, I would prefer he put a lid on).


Lake Fairlee: On Monday, I got in a great open water swim at the town beach on Lake Fairlee. It was a beautiful night, and a great place to swim. You can get access to the beach for a $2 fee (great if you have family along), or if you're a cheapskate, you can swim from a pulloff just south of the beach on 244, or even further south, from the public boat launch (considering it's not peak-boat time). Either way, it's a great place to take a dip.

Me stretching out after the swim:

No comments: