I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Friday, January 25, 2008

Features (part 1) - The Swimming Hole

It’s been a little quiet around here lately, so I figure it’s time to start a new multi-part series… this one about some of the things I found around Vermont – some of the rides I went on, some of the pools I swam in, some of the runs I took…. Just a few of the things that will be on the full site come spring.

I figured I’ll start, for no specific reason, with one of the nicer pools in the state – The Swimming Hole in Stowe. Like most things in that area, it’s a little cutesy. It’s built to look like a Vermont-style red barn, has tiled showers and expensive soaps, and of course it’s pricey:16.50 for a day pass (!). That said though, the facility is pretty nice, and the pool is great…. 8 lanes across, lots of other swimmers, and it’s set into a large, airy room with nice big windows. Most of Vermont’s pools are cramped and dark…. The Swimming Hole is open and light. It may not be for everyone, but it’s a nice place to get in a workout (and even relax a little bit).

Check it out if you’re in the area, or visit their website at theswimmingholestowe.com. For now though, here are a couple pictures I snapped while I was there:


No comments: