I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Hanover Trip

I just got home from my trip. I’m tired, but I had a great time. As planned, I got into Hanover, NH on Monday night, and met my friend Norah. We had dinner with a couple of her friends from Dartmouth – burritos and beer… my favorite!

I spent today getting to know Hanover. The college kids give the city a young and active feel - the endurance community is big for the relative size of the city. Highlights of the area include great riding in every direction, some good open water swimming (and outdoor pool) within a five-minute drive of the downtown at Storr’s pond, and Omer and Bob’s bike shop, who, along with having a cool name, do a real good job as the only shop in town.

I took advantage of my time there, and got in a swim at the very nice Dartmouth College pool. Afterwards, I spent a good deal of time wandering around their gorgeous facility… admittedly, this is partly because I was lost. But, I enjoyed it nevertheless. After a HUGE post-workout burger at a local diner, I went for a ride with local ironman triathlete Colin Ferguson (CCF on Slowtwitch). He’s sort of a stud long-distance guy… But, lucky for me, we just had an easy ride today – 25 miles alongside the Connecticut, in both New Hampshire and Vermont. It was great riding, and I had a blast hanging out with Colin.

Pictures from the trip:









No comments: