I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Monday, August 27, 2007

Ascutney - Woodstock Trip

I’m on a 5-day research/mapping trip in Southern and Central Vermont; Trying to find the best places to train in this area. Saturday afternoon, I drove up and stayed in Ascutney State Park. I set up my tent, made a fire, and ten minutes later, got hit with a wicked thunderstorm. After a stream formed in my site, I packed up my tent, and made for a lean-to.

Sunday morning, I was up and off to check out the pool at the Ascutney Mountain resort. It’s a pretty nice place – an $11 pass gives you access to 25-yard indoor and outdoor pools. The outdoor pool was still cold from the previous nights rain, so I got in a good workout indoors.

Then, I spent the rest of the day checking out the area roads. Found some good stuff. Nothing great, but plenty of solid riding. Last night, I found a real nice campsite in Coolidge State Park (see below for pictures).

Today, I’m doing more of the same – looking for good roads/trails to ride and run on. I’m in Woodstock, VT right now, and am making my way North-East. I’ll spend the night (and the next few days) at a friends place in Hanover, NH. I really like Hanover, so I’m psyched to spend some time there, and excited to check out all the good training on both sides of the VT/NH border.

Pics from my trip so far: The first two are from my drive up to Ascutney, on Route 5. The next two are of me working - giving the thumbs up to a road for biking and the next putting down some oatmeal before a swim at the Ascutney pool. The last two are the view from my campsite, both yesterday evening and around 6:30 this morning.











No comments: