I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Monday, February 18, 2008

My Kind of Workday

I've been working pretty hard lately - Multisport Maps is starting to kick back up, and I'm running a couple new businesses... all while life (and relationships) run on. I've put in more than a few long days recently, and worked right through this past weekend. Come today then, I was pretty tired. I woke up, and was working at 8am, when Roommate Randy started to dress for a ride. It was a great, sunny February day, so, heck… I decided to go with him. I could head out for a quick spin, and be back at my computer before lunchtime.

Well, we rode 110k... took us a bit over 4 hours, 42 minutes. I haven't ridden for more than 90 minutes since last October, so I can't say it was pretty, but it sure was a blast. It started at with a free espresso shot at Moto's coffee shop (a buddy of Randy's), then rolled out north of town, toward a reservoir called Carter Lake. We climbed up to the lake, descended off, and going through a headwind 2 hours, 30 minutes in, the predictable happened: I cracked… completely. I was way gone.

I stuffed down a caffeinated gel and a chocolate Powerbar, then sat behind Randy (at 10mph) for the next 20 minutes. I got out of "that place," but the legs just weren’t there again. I basically dragged my ass home... but only barely. We ate near a full box of spaghetti, we watched a movie, and I'm only writing this after a quick nap. Tough ride, but a great ride. And really, a great day. Exactly the break I needed.

A few pictures:

Moto’s:

Rolling out:

About halfway (check the mountains at 11 o’clock):


Our second (and last) coffee stop, about 80k in:

2 comments:

Coffee In Action said...

Have to say I am pleased to see my favorite vice make an appearance on your page. Maybe you'll be able to show Sara and I come nice coffee shops in Colorado. Looking forward to the visit.

-Melanie

Matt said...

mmmm. coffee. mmmm colorado. mmm bike riding.
living the life buddy...