I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Feature (part 3) - West River

Two times I written features about the training in Vermont, and twice, I've featured pools. It's winter, so I figure that's where my mind was... but really, anyone who's spent a summer in Vermont knows the best swimming comes far from chlorinated water, lane lines, and the black-tiles-of-death-by-boredom. It comes under the late-afternoon sun, past trees that hang out over the water, and through schools of fish darting around the bottom-rocks. It comes, of course, in the open water. Vermont holds almost unlimited open-water adventure; every town it seems, has it's own favorite rivers and lakes. Each one is worthy of an afternoon’s-worth of exploration, but I'll try and narrow it down to a few to feature here.

The first is a spot pretty near to my former home, and only 2 or 3 miles outside of Brattleboro: the West River. The water there, depending on rain and draught, can be as shallow as 3-4 feet in some points. Deep enough to swim easily, but shallow enough to bring the fish right under your nose, and shallow enough to give the swim a safe feel – absent of loud and threatening motor boats. A steep, tree-green hill rises up immediately to the east of the water, which not only beautiful, gives the river a closed-in feel, and makes the swimming seem even more safe. It’s the perfect spot to enjoy the calm, worry-free Vermont evenings.

We usually swim from the launch (a 1/4 mile hike from rte. 30) downstream to the 91 bridge that goes over the water. There’s always cool stuff that’s dropped off the bridge to explore there (I’ve found a fork, a pair of women’s sunglasses, and a couple hubcaps), and then, we swim more slowly back up. It’s a great time, and being only 2 or 3 miles out of town, is a great option for people in Brattleboro.

Pictures... Two of Bad-ass Steve T. and I goofing around, and then an afternoon series of Friends Noah, Paul and Hilary.

Steve and I:



Noah in the outfit he got unrelentless shit for:


Noah, Paul and Hilary Wading in:


Actually swimming:


And afterward, Hilary performing in the parking lot:

No comments: