I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I’m Moving to Boulder (Part 2) – The Adventure

In my last post here, I gave a quick explanation of why I was moving. While I covered some of the logistical pieces, I left out a significant chunk – sort of the underlying, big picture motivation to go. Namely, the adventure of it all. Of course, I’m psyched about seeing my friends again, about a cool social scene, and about the epic training. But beyond that, I’m just excited to get out to the wide-open spaces. I’m excited to pack up the car, and drive toward a new city, a new house, and a lot of fun times. I’m excited, as a pretty young guy, to fully set off for the first time. It won’t always be pretty, but I guarantee, it’ll be an adventure.

And really, by the nature of the company, and the nature of my influence in it, Multisport Maps will be along for the ride. Though there’ll be some growing pains I’m sure, in the end, the move will help - not only will Multisport Maps get to operate amongst (arguably) the countries’ most concentrated multisport population, but now, it’ll be infused with this same sense of adventure. From the beginning, Multisport Maps has been about more than the information. The information will be solid and helpful, no doubt, but it’s about delivering the information with a slice of multisport culture – to deliver it with pictures, stories, and experiences, seen through the eyes of a fellow athlete. So while the location is changing, and I’m moving out to Colorado, the concept stays the same – it’s still about the culture; it’s still about the sports we love; and even more so now, it’s about the adventures we can have, whether it’s in the saddle, out on a run, or in my case, just moving.

Even in Colorado, I’ll continue to do here, as I’ve always done – let you in on (nearly) everything I know about the business, and more generally, my life in multisport. In the next few days, I’ll write another part in the “I’m Moving” series, to explain more-logistically how Multisport Maps will run in Colorado, and where it’ll go from here. That one will probably be shorter.

No comments: