I’ve spent this past summer traveling around Vermont, looking for the best multisport training – the best rides, the best running loops or running trails, and the best pools or open water swims. I did it partly for the adventure, but really, I did it to gather the information to start building this website – multisportmaps.com…. a comprehensive guide of places to train for serious athletes. I’m starting with Vermont – if you’re anywhere in the state, and want to know where the closest lap pool is, or you want to know where the closest killer-climb is, or you just want to take a nice, short run from your door, it’ll be here. The full site, with at least the Vermont information included, is being built now (it’ll launch this spring). In the meantime though, I’ll be publishing a blog, developing the Multisport Maps culture - sharing descriptions and reviews of some of the places I visited, sharing some pictures, some stories from the road, and really, writing on anything to do with endurance sports, Vermont, my new home (Colorado), or whatever’s on my mind. I hope you enjoy!

----- Brian Burns

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Who We Are (Part 5) - Hard Work

This is a place to share a little bit about who we are as a company, and today, it’s a place to share about something that’s been on my mind. I’ll start with this: We here at Multisport Maps work hard. You might recognize it… it’s the same phrase I used to open a similar piece a couple weeks back. Then, I was talking about hard work as brute force – the hours I put in, and the stuff I get done. But now, I’m talking about hard work in a slightly different way – a way that goes beyond time or production, and on into emotional dedication.

Maybe this will help explain: Since the end of last season, I haven’t been swimming much, so when recently, I started again in earnest, nothing felt right – my balance was off, my timing was off, and I didn’t have a feel for the water… I was just bad. But, I put in the work. Not just pounding-out-the-yards work, but work doing the drills, and the work to keep showing up when it felt like I wasn’t getting anywhere. In other words, I was willing to do the real hard work – to have the patience to do it the right way, even when I had reason to doubt.

And sure enough, the other night, some things clicked, and I swam faster, easier, and more efficiently than, perhaps, I ever have. It was a blast to swim well again, and reminded me of the skills I use to be a better athlete, and really, that I’ve used to create Multisport Maps. At times in the past year, while launching the company, I’ve felt like I did in the pool - slow, unskilled, and overwhelmed. But just like with my swimming, I kept going… I worked hard. And just like hard work in swimming isn’t all about doing 5k days(though there are some), hard work at Multisport Maps isn’t all about putting in the 13-hour days (though there are some) – it’s about following my vision, even when I have reason to doubt – it’s about taking the time doing it the right way.

And that’s what you have here. The result is this website, and even more so, the one that’s being developed for next spring. Again, we at Multisport Maps work hard. No matter what’s happening, we’re willing to make the effort to do it right. To tell you the truth, I don’t know exactly how it’ll turn out – if the site will be a hit, or not even close. But to a certain extent, that’s out of my hands. All I can do now, is execute my vision, and of course, be willing to work hard to do so. That, I know I can do.

No comments: